Friday, August 24, 2007

High Dollar Face

My stinking face is costing me money again. Today it cost me 100 bucks. So, while I may not look like a million bucks after this round of treatment, I had better at least look like a hundred bucks.
Acne. It's the story of my life, and an expensive one at that. I've fought it since junior high with a few seasons of success. Last September I completed a course of Accutane. It's some tough stuff-it really took its toll on my vision and caused a bit of hair loss. But it was actually rather easy on my pocket book at a mere $10 month for the generic drug. So, nearly a year later, here I am with an angry looking zit colony on my chin.
After the $20 copay, I go in to see the doctor. He prescribes a course of treatment that he refers to as "rescue mode". We're going to rescue my face I guess. The "tools" for this rescue are 4 different medications. I know it sounds like I must have a horribly afflicted face if I'm using so much medicine, but it's not that awful. At any given time I'll only be using 3 medicines: pop one pill, smear one medication on in the morning, smear on another at night. Anyhow, these rescue tools left my budget in S.O.S.
Needless to say, August is not turning out to be a banner month for dumping debt. Not because we're blowing money, but because work hours for my spouse have been average in a month that's usually very busy. Nonetheless, it was satisfying to me today to see that thousand digit drop from 11 to 10.
Now if I can just keep Murphy away from my face and other aspects of my life, I'll be doing well.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Think of it as "face repairs" and list it in the budget. It's a face worth fighting for! Keep your chin up! (no pun intended) :) Just think...when you are weird you'll still be beautiful!

PJ said...

"Angry looking zit colony."

That is, perhaps, the STRANGEST sounding phrase, I've ever heard. But VERY descriptive!

SheGazelle said...

Face repairs...ain't that the truth. It looks like I will have to add that category.

pj- I am often told by hegazelle that I use the most intensive descriptions for things. I rather think it's a hobby of mine. I shall count your comment as a compliment. :-)

cMc said...

I rarely ever see you with any skin flaws, much less "colonies" warranting a doctor visit! For shame! lol Don't disappoint those of us whose happiness hinges on your budgeting success now!! hehehe... JK!! I hate those unexpected expenses! It's always SOMEthing...

SheGazelle said...

Never fear, *chriss*, my budget shall fully recover by Friday and I shall be victorious once again!

PJ said...

Victorious over the "angry looking zit colony," or over your demolished budget?

'Cuz if you figure out the zit thing, please let me know; I could use a little victory in that department as well!

SheGazelle said...

Now that you mention it- I guess I will be victorious over both! My rescue tools are already doing their job (as they should at that price.)
Tazorac- it's great stuff...Just ask the doc to get ya some. Plus you'll never get old using it- they use the same stuff for the old ladies who wanna get rid of wrinkles!

Katie Booker said...

Does it work on legs too??? I have this HUGE fear of getting WRINKLY legs....

SheGazelle said...

I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure that just using one's legs regularly will prevent wrinkles on them...

Katie Booker said...

Well...i've seen those that have regularly used their mouths and they still have wrinkled jawls... =)

SheGazelle said...

true, true.