Monday, September 21, 2009

Tomorrow is the first day of fall- yay!

We just got home from a nice anniversary trip out of town. 5 years and 1 baby gazelle later, we're still runnin' together. :-) You know things are different when the first thing you do upon arriving at your destination is go to the Carter's children's outlet and spend 60 bucks on clothes for the baby. BG got clothes and HG got new shoes- both much needed. I needed some new clothes and shoes too, but found none. I'm figuring if I dress the BG cute no one will notice my old clothes and shoes.
HG has been using the state's family leave intermittently since BG was born. About 3 weeks in June after the birth, another week and a few days in August- leaving him with 14 days remaining. As fall draws near, we look forward to using the last 14 days near the BG's first holidays.
Our Efund is 3K short of our final goal. It's time to set some new short-term goals to help speed the process. So I've come up with one that I think is doable: save 2K by the end of the year. I've been lax in my saving since the baby arrived (saving, but not intensely,) so there is room in the budget to clamp down. I'll let you know my progress.
It is essential to get this EFund savings completed so we can return to retirement savings, but also to begin saving for our next car. I LOVE cars, so saving for this is exciting to me. Another Volvo is on the horizon, and I cannot wait to pay cash for a "new" car! HG has even begun considering a wagon- he things the cargo area would be sweet. Volvo does a hip wagon so I wouldn't mind. Then there's that groovy SUV, the XC90, or that delicious sedan, the S80. I should stop daydreaming before car fever gets a hold of me and I run out and apply for a car loan! (not.)

3 comments:

Kathy McElhaney said...

Paying cash for a new car is so fun! We bought our Saturn in 1992, paid cash, still driving it 290,000 miles later! Dave Ramsey would be so proud!

SheGazelle said...

I can only imagine...
I told HG that when we get the money saved, I want to take the cash in a briefcase when we go buy the car! I think 5 dollar bills would be quite dramatic...hehehehe....

Kathy McElhaney said...

It's cool to write a check that size and know it will be covered!