Saturday, August 16, 2008

From one beginner to others-Couponing Step 1: Get a whole buch of 'em!

The first thing I discovered about couponing was the need to accumulate a nice stash of coupons. Nothing worse than hearing about a great deal or freebie and not having the coupon you need for the deal.
My rule of thumb for cutting coupons is this: if the item were free would I take it? If the answer is yes, then I cut the coupon and file it. There are some things such as hair coloring and adult diapers that I wouldn't go pick up even if they were free. On the other hand, while I may have no need for baby diapers, arthritis pain relieving patches or baby soap, there are people I know who do, so I cut the coupon. Then if the item is free I'll give it away. Because of coupons, my niece and nephew have a small stash of Johnson's Buddies soap and children's allergy medicine.

As I've said before, SAHM (Stay-at-home-mom) blogs are great resources to point you straight to the deals of the week. Subscribe to a few favorites in a reader such as Google Reader or Bloglines so you know when there are new posts.

It may take a couple weeks of coupon accumulation before you do your first deal, I know that's how it worked for me. But once I did that first deal I was hooked, and you will be too!


Yes, that is a valid Target coupon! Stack it with a Softsoap manufacturer's coupon for maximum savings. Some of the Spa Radiance washes have a bonus 12 oz. wash with them. I picked up one of these bonus packs this week and paid only $1.99 for the two bottles of wash!

0 comments: