Thursday, May 15, 2008

Urban Homesteading

I love a good story about the super frugal among us. People such as the Dervaes family fascinate me. Read about them and you'll see why. This family of four lives on $30,000/year. More interesting is their small "farm" that they live on. In Pasadena, CA. A mere 5th of an acre in their suburban neighborhood sustains them. Urban homesteading, as it's referred to appeals to me on so many levels, I just wish I had the fortitude to do it. It sorta made me feel silly about my two tomato and three squash plants in my side yard. Check out these amazing people for yourself.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMW! I went absolutly ga-ga over this site! I would love to be able to be apart of something like this. I've always known I have a bit of hippy in me...
And don't balk at your few tomato and squash plants. You'll get quit a bit out of them for just the two of you.
But boy howdy, you could grow enough food for an small army in that backyard if you had the time,energy and know how!
Thanks for sharing this site. I won't tell you how long Iv'e been sitting here reading it...