Thursday, January 3, 2008

January Goals

On New Year's Day me and Hegazelle had a meeting of the minds. A huddle. Regroup. Whatever, you call it, I'm feeling good about it.
Instead of setting broad goals for the new year (which you usually carry in the back of your mind anyway,) we decided to set monthly financial goals. We sat down with a notebook and pen and wrote down what we want to accomplish in January. We always talk about money and goals, but there's something different about writing it down on paper and planning to meet those goals by the end of the month. Here's what we came up with:

  • Fund the EF back to $1000. Somehow when I last replenished the EF, I got a little antsy and jumped back into the debt reduction too soon. $105 puts us where we're supposed to be.
  • Reduce our debt by $900. Obviously debt reduction is the foremost goal these days. I can't wait for that last payment.
  • Save and give 1/5th of pledged amount for church building fund. Our church building is undergoing quite the renovation. We plan to donate $1,000 by June. Currently we've contributed $75, so our "balance due" is $925. 1/5th of that is $185 for the month of January. Very doable.
  • Reevaluate home owner's insurance policy. In June we will have owned our house for 4 years, and not once have I reevaluated our policy. I plan to listen again to the FPU cd about insurance to refresh my memory, then schedule a meeting with our insurance agent.
  • Bonus Goal: Hegazelle and I didn't discuss this one, but we both know it needs to get done- prepare a will. Dave Ramsey fans get a discount this month at US Legal Forms- $15 for a state specific will. I have no excuse not to.
These goals are very attainable, and some may possibly be surpassed. I'll let you know at the beginning of February how we fared.

0 comments: