Friday, September 7, 2007

Sell So Much Stuff The Kids Think They're Next! Wait, I don't have any kids to sell...

In the first month of our "money makeover" we had a yard sale to boost our saving. We sold a ton of our stuff (and some donated items) in an attempt to hammer out baby step 1. What a shot in the arm that was! It was as though money was just laying around the house waiting to be had. Further, I must say I had the best yard sale sign campaign ever. Many who came to the sale commented on what great signs I had. Since my house is tucked away in the neighborhood, some people have difficulty finding it. Not so on yard sale day. With permission, I used type I barricades and mounted bright orange poster board signs at all the main streets and connecting residential streets to provide direction straight to the lady who needed their money. Me.
The cool thing about yard sales is not only that you can get a lot of cash, but also that you can clear a lot of clutter out of your house and garage.
In the months that followed we have continued the "sale" at our home in another fashion. At any given time, we put from 1 to 7 items on Craigslist. Any more than that becomes a full time job. You would not believe the junk that people will buy. And if the price is right, your phone will ring within 15 minutes of posting. Items we've sold include: 3 bicycles, a wedding cake stand, an oooold cordless drill and flashlight, an XM radio kit, a Dooney & Bourke cap, outdoor lighting sets and more. When the day comes for us to move, I don't think it will be too hard.
It's been about 3 or 4 weeks since my last Craigslist sale. I think that just may be the fix for this spell of blah I'm in.
Also, along the same lines- I discovered a consignment shop the other day. I'm probably like the last person to get a clue, since I've seen the store there for months, but never knew what it was. So on Monday, I wandered in. It's called Plato's Closet. They sell only gently used, brand name clothing such as Gap, Abercrombie & Fitch, Express, Hollister, American Eagle. This SO works for me on both sides: I can get a groovy Hollister shirt for hegazelle for $10, and they will buy our old clothes, shoes and accessories. They pay for your stuff on the spot- no waiting for your items to sell. How cool is that? I'll let you know how I fare when I get the chance to take some stuff in.
Just writing this post has me in the gear again...I think I'll get one more yard sale in before fall.

4 comments:

PJ said...

Yeah...we're having a yard sale tomorrow...

Shawna-I AM NOT KIDDING-is so driven, she's decided to sell our kitchen table! I'm like, "Shawna...um...you might be taking this just a wee bit too far...d'ya think?"

I dunno...I've never been able to get excited about the whole yard sale thing, to be honest with you.

But...so goes life with Dave Ramsey.

Gotta go; 6:30 comes early in the morning!

SheGazelle said...

If you want to be rich, trust your wife.
Prov 31:11 on the virtuous woman- The heart of her husband safely trusts her; So he will have no lack of gain.
Besides, just think how nice your next kitchen table will be!

SheGazelle said...

By the way-
I don't think anyone gets excited about yard sales because they're any fun. I hate putting up the signs and of course getting up at 6:30.
It's the getting to open your doors a bit wider in the garage and most of all... the CASH!

Katie Booker said...

Or you could work the "Online Garage Sale" called Ebay. There are ALWAYS suckers on there just dying to bid on someone elses junk!
It's very weird how much someone will pay for "Double Ruffle" ribbon.