Friday, August 3, 2007

My Favorite Day of the Week

This day is my favorite day of the week for a few reasons- it's Friday so therefore it's payday so therefore it's BUDGET DAY! I love to do my cash flow plan every Friday. (I told you I was a freak about this stuff, so you shouldn't be too surprised by this post.) My current reason that I enjoy it so much, is because it's at this point that I see how much extra I can put on the car debt for that week.

Before we started the Dave Ramsey plan, we had what I'll call a Theoretical Budget- it was there in theory. It was a kinda-sorta budget. It listed my bills and so forth, but that was about the extent of it. After we listened to the Total Money Makeover and did a Zero Based Budget, things changed drastically. Honestly, it felt like we'd each gotten a HUGE raise, when in reality we are just an average income household. Where we couldn't find money before, we found it. What has helped this to work so well is using an envelope system. For certain categories, we've assigned an envelope in which we put the cash for that week. It is such a simple concept that works so well. Now we only use our Visa debit cards for online purchases.
One thing I've found: cash is powerful. When you spend cash you feel it. You're aware.

Contentment. I believe this is the foundation wherewith wealth is built. That is not to say I don't have goals of things I want, but I am content with my life at the present. The Bible states in I Tim. 6:6 that "godliness with contentment is great gain." Sounds good to me.
So, have a good weekend- enjoy the simple things like your family, a book, a good laugh or a breeze. (Who wouldn't appreciate a breeze these days?)

0 comments: