Monday, July 7, 2008

Goals and Groceries

When you get this close to the goal, your thoughts are consumed with, "How can I get my hands on $2300 in a hurry?" The thought plays over and over in my mind and is often met with foolish solutions like some lovely rich person feeling sorry for me and finishing the whole thing off! So as you can imagine, we're more driven than ever- intensity is at a maximum as we approach the goal.

I'm currently reading America's Cheapest Family Gets You Right On The Money by Steve and Annette Economides. They are the authors of the HomeEconomiser Newsletter. One thing this book has challenged me to do is to try NOT to grocery shop every week. This family of seven shops only once per month and they take it seriously, let me tell you. Walkie-talkies, dual carts, coupons- the works. As a small step I am trying to shop only once every two weeks. Hegazelle and I took time at the beginning of the month to inventory our cupboards, fridge and freezer. Taking that list, we sat down and wrote out a menu for 2 weeks. Taking those two lists, I created my shopping list to fill in the gaps of what we didn't have but needed for our menu plan. We're entering week two now, and so far we really like it. Hegazelle likes knowing exactly what to grab for lunch every morning, and I like that I don't have to grocery shop this week! The only downside is we had to eat all our fruit last week (before it spoiled) and this week we have only a couple of browning bananas. Our other vegetables and lettuce seem to be doing fine, but we're gonna miss the fruit this week. Maybe next trip I'll buy a watermelon and save it for week 2. We froze 2 of the loaves of bread we bought on the last grocery trip, and then pulled them out at the beginning of this week. So, all in all it's been a positive experience. Oh yeah, and $56 did the trick for 2 weeks. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job! Groceries are one of the hardest places to cut back on. But there's usually a lot of "fat" that can be cut there so it's a good place to find extra money.
My hats off to ya!

Anonymous said...

I think that you should post a copy of your grocery receipt. I would like to see what you bought for $56. You have inspired me to print coupons and watch how I drive in order to save money/gas.
I already shop every two weeks, but I spend a little more then you.
Becky

SheGazelle said...

Becky,
I can't find my receipt, but I did find my grocery list. Keep in mind that some of the items for our menu plan we already had at home.
Here's the grocery list:
peanut butter
sugar
flour
bananas
bacon
head of iceberg lettuce
2 avocados
4 bags of chips
mayonaise
1 loaf white bread
3 loaves wheat bread
5 tomatos
applesause
lunch meat
ground turkey
2 large bags of Dole salad mix
frozen green beans
saltine crackers
block of cheddar
red onion
sour cream
Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix

I can't recall any impulse buys, though there might have been one or two that I can't remember. But I'm pretty positive that I stuck to my list.
Plenty of frugal shoppers could put me to shame on this one!

SheGazelle said...

Becky,
I found the impulse items.
1 1/2 gallon of milk and 2 Butterfinger candy bars! :-D