Thursday, June 12, 2008

Fuel: A love/hate relationship


Tuesday evening, I began to consider other options to get to work each day. My supervisor lives close enough that I could walk to her house and car pool with her, but she gets to work a lot earlier than I need to be there. I started researching the public transportation system in my area, and I found that the rates were reasonable and they have a route that is nearly a straight shot to the office. After tossing it around, I decided I should just try it tomorrow. I was almost convinced I could do it until my lunch break today. I decided to walk to the nearest Subway Sandwich joint for a cookie (they have GREAT oatmeal raisin cookies) and I was melting in the heat. And it's not even hot hot yet. The nearest Subway isn't even half way to the closest bus stop! So it's either take a chance on smelling bad and feeling gross or suck it up and burn $4.50/gallon gas in my Volvo every day.
Cycling is not an option. Safe routes with bike lanes are few and I'd still have the sweat factor.
I don't know. For now, I continue to burn money. But if I gather the courage to ride that bus I'll be sure to let you know about it.

Speaking of heat, I have a side job tonight- cutting grass again. More money towards that goal of an extra $200 income for the month of June. May they keep coming.

1 comments:

Katie Booker said...

If I were you, I'd ask your nice boss if you could have a company car come and pick you up every day....I mean...you deserve it...right? =)