Monday, June 23, 2008

Coupon Madness

Ok, so for about a week and a half now I've seriously taken up my new hobby- couponing. With the help of some super frugal bloggers and their readers who share their deals, I'm getting a ton of free and nearly free items. Some of the ones I frequent are:

I'm not going to turn this blog into a coupon/super-duper deals blog- these folks do a great job of that already. But since it's so new to me and is actually apart of my journey to financial peace, I'm sharing some of my early bargains with you.
I made the rounds tonight- Walgreens, Target and Walmart. Let me tell you, we've got cereal coming out our ears now. Hegazelle joked that we should invite people over for cereal sometime.

Here's what I scored at Walgreens:
  • A rain check for $.99 Band Aids from last week along with a $ .75/off coupon= Band Aids for $ .24.
  • General Mills Cereal, 3 for $7 this week plus you get $2 Register Rewards along with 2 $1/off coupons= cereal for $1/box.
  • Aquafresh toothpaste, on sale this week for $ .99 paired with a $ .75/off coupon= toothpaste for $ .24.
And my Target deals:

  • Kelloggs cereal, 5 for $11 this week plus you get a $5 Target Gift Card for buying 5 boxes, one of the boxes has a "Try It Free" manufacturers rebate, along with 2 $1/off coupons= $ .36/box. SWEET!
  • Zyrtec Allergy medicine (children's chewables) are $5.49, paired with a $1/off Target store coupon and a $5.00/off manufacturers coupon= FREE+ $ .51 overage! (Target doesn't usually do overage, but for some reason it worked this time.)
  • Clean & Clear trial size cleanser is $ .97 paired with my $2.00/off manufacturers coupon= FREE (no overage, she adjusted the coupon down.)
  • Colgate Total Advanced Toothpaste is $2.79, paired with a $1/off Target store coupon and a $1.50/off manufacturers coupon= toothpaste for $ .29.
I had other coupons and other items, but the cashier was so frazzled and totally unaware that it was indeed legit to use a store coupon in conjunction with a manufacturers coupon, that I just took those items out and took the corresponding coupons back. I had seven coupons and it TOTALLY messed her up. Had to call her supervisor over for help and everything. It's sort of a drag to have to inform poorly trained employees of their stores coupon policy. Walmart is MUCH easier when it comes to coupons. Which brings me to my...

Walmart Deals:
  • $3.00/off any two Post-it flags- found 2 items for $.97/each= FREE+ $1.06 overage
  • V8 Fusion @ $2.98 paired with my $2/off coupon= $.98, but FREE with my overage from the Post-it notes!
So the final tally- I got all these goodies for $5.57! I'm sure you understand now why this has become my new hobby! Let me know if you go for any of these deals...once you try it, I'll bet you can't stop!

8 boxes of dirt cheap cereal



The rest of my freebies and dirt cheap loot

9 comments:

Katie Booker said...

Hey...do the kids Zyrtec thing again and bring us some! Logan could use it! lol!!!
Once I'm up and off bedrest I HAVE to try this...it looks like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Where did you go to get the Target coupons? I am not sure if I missed a blog about that or not, if so please excuse.
Becky

SheGazelle said...

For this week's Target deals the best place to start is this post at The Centsible Sawyer.

Sarrah D. said...

I just want to know, do you really need all the stuff you get or do you just get it because it is free/cheap? Cause I think in the long run I would spend more money buying tons of ten cent items just because it was ten cents.

SheGazelle said...

No, at the moment I am not in need of toothpaste or cereal. But neither of these items will go bad anytime soon, so why not stock up when it's cheap? Why wait till I need toothpaste and have to pay $2.75 for it?
The free items, however, need is of no concern. If I can use it I will, otherwise I can give stuff away.
Either way you look at it, I win.

Anonymous said...

That's it! I've sat back a watched for too long. It's time to get in the game.
How my mom would have loved getting all those boxes of cereal for so cheap back in the day when she was feeding six kids! What a deal!

Gina @ MoneywiseMoms said...

Great job on the cereal! My husband makes the same jokes, and I have to admit--I have actually paid a babysitter with cereal and sent guests home with a few boxes.

Thanks for the link, and keep up the good work on your couponing! It is a lot of fun (as well as a great money-saver).

SheGazelle said...

KT...
Just print the coupons and save 'em for when you're up again.
Most of these coupons will only print once. :-/
Only a few will print twice if you hit the back button on your browser.

Katie Booker said...

Oh, they don't expire? I'm all over that then. I'll definitely use it.
Thanks for all the advice. I love seeing your pics of all the cool stuff.
I wonder if HomEq would take a couple of boxes of cereal in payment for our monthly house mortgage.
Or better yet, Joe Blow, at the AM PM down the street...I'll give him a couple of boxes for a couple of gallons of gas =)