Thursday, August 16, 2007

Hearers, but not doers- DO THE PLAN!

I've been wondering why it seems the simple methods presented by Dave Ramsey and his plan seem so hard for some people to understand. Just today I was listening to Dave's show archives, and this lady starts her call by saying she has been listening to Dave's show for years, and then goes on to ask a stupid question about something she'd done with her money. Dave had to smack her around a bit because she really just wanted to talk and didn't seem to hear what she was being told.
I see and hear of others who pick and choose certain parts of the plan, expecting the same results as though they had followed completely. I marvel: why tweak something that is proven?
Another group I see and hear of are those who were on this plan long before I was, promoted it to family and friends once they saw the results, then they were apparently so ecstatic to have a few bucks that they abandoned the plan and went spend-crazy.

I think I have these people figured out. They don't have a problem understanding the plan. They hear it, but they just don't do it. They have something to contribute to the occasional personal finance conversation, but that's about it. They rather deceive themselves, by being hearers, but not doers (James 1:22.)
I'm only 5 1/2 months into my own total money makeover, but I hope I won't soon deceive myself. How ignorant would that be to pay off all my debt, accumulate 10K in the bank, and think that I've arrived and need not practice the plan?!
In our FPU class discussions one night, some of the members mentioned that they wish they were as young as my spouse and me. One lady even said she was so proud of us and talked about us to all of her friends. We were appreciative, but uncomfortable. The thought occurred to me that I can't let these people down. If I run into one of them at Home Depot 15 years from now, I had better be able to make them prouder still. And I plan to.
So, you've started your money makeover. Congratulations. But don't stop. Don't drop elements of the plan in the midst of satisfaction. Do the plan.

Bossy Bonus: Talk about money a lot with people. Not only will you learn (and teach), but the more people know you have a plan, the more people will ask you about it when you cease talking of it. Kind of like telling a lot of people you're on a diet. You better shed the pounds, buddy, or people will start wondering what's up.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

There you have it.....

SheGazelle said...

Oh that sooo sounds like my dad...

PJ said...

K...figured I'd comment just so u didn't think I was "hearing" but not "doing"...

Apparently you're one of those "words of affirmation" folks that need the response (don't feel bad-I am too). So...

Yep! I agree with you...I'm learning though that, on any journey that's arduous, many begin, but very few find the strength to endure...do you agree?

SheGazelle said...

Oh, I just believe that silence speaks, that's all.

Yes, I do agree with you. I find myself in many different little races that I can't seem to make the finish line.
I don't think that will be the case with this one though.

PJ said...

You know, I've known you a long time, gazelle, and I have to say, I agree with you about silence speaking, but I didn't know that you knew it.

'Cause, as I recall, anytime you're around, silence has zero chance of getting it's two cents in...

That was, of course, said with affection (you know that, right?).

Katie Booker said...

I think I hear some tones of jealousy in PJ's comments! Maybe he is used to being the center of attention at all functions and now Shegazelle has stolen his thunder!!!! lol!

And that was said with ALLL the love and affection I have!!!

SheGazelle said...

pj, maybe I am getting old...maybe that's how I know.
As you recall- I was 16. I've tried to work on letting silence have more say since then. :-)
And yes, I feel the love.

PJ said...

PJ NEVER got accustomed to being the "center of attention"-at least when both Katie and shegazelle were around!

SheGazelle said...

=-O